What are Blue Light Filter Glasses?
Being busy with smartphones and digital computers has become a new normal these days for everyone. But along with offering the best personal and professional experiences, gadgets radiations are drastically affecting lifestyles, which the experts fear can become a serious concern.
Fortunately, we have blue light filtering lenses for spectacles that may address this problem to some extent. Blue light filtering lenses are specially designed to filter out all the supposedly harmful blue-violet rays emitted from digital screens to our eyes.
What is Blue Light, and How Does it Affect Your Eyes?
Blue light has always been around you as most of it comes from the Sun. But if we talk about today’s modern digital age, the blue light is directly emitted through digital gadgets like smartphones, televisions, tablets, laptops, and other devices.
But if we talk about today’s modern digital age, the blue light is getting more attention as our use of digital gadgets like smartphones, televisions, tablets, laptops, and other devices has increased tremendously in a very short duration of time. All these devices emit blue light. So, our exposure to blue light is forever increasing and at all waking hours.
Due to these screens’ broad and extended usage (during the pandemic), blue light emission has been extended, resulting in severe eye strains and issues in people. Nowadays, there are various technologies supporting different wavelengths of light that people are directly staring into them for long hours without any side effects. Blue light blocking glasses are one of them, making digital screen exposure for people less harmful.
We have discussed the benefits of blue light filter glasses, but do you know how it helps in getting rid of eye issues?
Generally, not all the colors of light leave the same impact on the eyes as they react differently in different time zones. Blue wavelengths, for example – are beneficial in daylight and boost attention, mood, and reaction times. On the contrary, the same light (blue light) affects eyes in the night hours. After sunset, the reduction of blue light is supposed to aid the secretion of the sleep hormone that leads to restful sleep at night. Thus, wearing blue light blocking glasses may help in reducing exposure to blue light at times.
Do You Need Blue Ray Glasses?
These days, screens have become the source of news, communication, entertainment, social interaction, and most importantly, the best option for work from home, which is getting very taxing for everyone’s eyes.
The truth is, we can’t simply overlook the digital screens; we can instead learn to find ways to protect ourselves from the negative effects these screens potentially leave.
Most people wear blue light protection glasses just by hearing a few benefits. Often the benefits are exaggerated by unscrupulous marketing. Blue light filtering lenses are made out to be the one stop solution for all eye related issues related to working on devices for long periods.
However, these kinds of unscientific claims are misleading consumers to often select the wrong spectacle lenses that may not address and solve their actual problems. So, it’s important to know when a blue-blocking lens will solve a problem and when you may require a specialised anti-fatigue, muscle relaxing lens for true eye-strain from devices. Let us review the truth behind some of the claims made to sell blue blocking lenses.
- You find your vision is fuzzy at the end of the day? If your vision gets fuzzy by the end of the day, in this case you may need an assessment by an eye-care practitioner (ECP) into the real cause of the fuzzy vision. If it is dry then you need to reinforce Good Screen Hygiene discussed later in this blog. A blue blocking lens with any prescription, if you have it, can alleviate some mild symptoms as it may act as a physical barrier to air-conditioning or wind in your workspace.
- You spend 10+ hours per day on your computer and other digital devices? Here, the blue filtering spectacles should, in principle, help reduce the exposure to blue light and benefit in overall lifestyle symptoms.
- You get frequent headaches? Headache evaluation by an ECP will help identify potential muscle weakness, latent spectacle numbers that have not been detected so far, or other milder issues like dryness. Blue filtering lenses can only help with the mild dryness if it’s due to blast of air or fan in the workspace. But the ECP will be able to point out the right course of remedy for the headaches.
- You have trouble sleeping? Provided your medical doctor has ruled out all other causes of insomnia and identified it as purely a lifestyle issue, blue light blocking spectacles, in theory, have the potential to help with this problem.
- You find the screen of your computer so blurry sometimes? Blurriness of screen can be due to muscles of the eyes getting fatigued,or due to undetected spectacle numbers. A vision assessment by an ECP can help identify and distinguish between the various causes and find an appropriate solution via spectacles and exercises. IF spectacles are required then blue filtering lenses will help reduce the exposure to blue light.
- You have watery eyes when watching something on a digital screen? Apart from you getting sentimental, the reasons can be varied from simply not blinking enough to dryness to uncorrected vision problems. Good Screen Hygiene mentioned below can help in mild cases, for uncorrected vision defects, a consultation with an ECP is the right way to begin.
- You only stay for a short time on your computer screen? Becoming disinterested in work, feeling fatigued and wanting to give up can often be due to dryness, muscle weakness and uncorrected spectacle numbers. While mild symptoms of dryness due to air flow directly on eyes can be helped with plain spectacles, anti-blue ones will offer an added feature, more severe cases may require an expert’s advice. Muscle weakness may require an ECP to guide you with exercises to strengthen the muscles for the long term and uncorrected spectacle numbers need to be corrected with appropriate spectacles.
- You continuously sit on your computer without breaks? Strongly consider specialised anti-fatigue spectacles that help with fatigue caused by continuous work at near for long durations. Most of these lenses come with blue light protection by default. Going forward, it is likely that the entire range of spectacle lenses come with blue light filtration by default, making blue light filtration a standard feature of all spectacles.
If you find any of these symptoms with you, definitely it’s time to get a new pair of blue block glasses. But before that, don’t forget to consult with an eye care professional to get the eye strain glasses that go well with your eye issues.
Practicing Good Screen Hygiene Can Help You Get Rid of Eye Strain
Whether you favor or wear blue light blocking glasses or not, practicing screen habits can always give you a way to reduce your eye strain in better ways. People notice different symptoms of digital eye strain, including headaches, dry eyes, and blurry vision that are curable if you reduce the screen time by at least 2 hours before bed. So, why don’t you practice this screen hygiene trick regularly to minimize your eye strain and improve your vision? Let’s learn how to do it properly:
- The best practice to do it is by adopting the 20-20-20 rule, which means when you’re using your digital gadget for 20 minutes, try to switch your vision and look at an object 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Another way is to make lifestyle adjustments like taking extended breaks for a few days from your screen and using your cell phone’s dark mode.
Top Benefits of Blue Light Glasses
You’ll rarely see people not using digital screens in their entire day. Even people don’t consider their day complete without spending at least a few hours on their favorite digital asset, and it might be their laptop for work purpose. It’s not ideal for the eyes, but blue light filter glasses can help reduce the potential risk and even improve the eyes’ health of the wearer.
Check out how blue light blocking glasses can give you reasons to have a pair for your eyes:
Can relieve eye discomfort
The symptoms of digital eye strain or eye discomfort are generally linked to how you use all digital devices, emitting blue light or some other harmful light. If you face the challenge or feel discomfort while interacting with digital devices, anti blue light glasses can play a vital role in improving the eyes’ health. It’s not proven yet that the lenses will solve your problem. But some prominent eye care professionals believe that these lenses have ample benefits.
For example – Greg Rogers, a senior optician at Eyeworks in Decatur, GA, says that he has seen positive effects of blue light among different people who interact with the digital screens for more than 6 hours a day.
Can help wearer sleep better at night
Apart from pushing the hour of sleeping, exposure to blue light closer to bedtime also disturbs sleep quality. Despite having a tight sleep for an adequate number of hours, we don’t feel as fresh as much.
Now, it has been hypothesized that such disruption in sleep leads to lifestyle diseases. Modern-day light saving and LED sources of light that we live in today are classified more towards the cold or blue spectrum than traditional electrical sources of light.
Therefore, it is perceived that switching to blue light filtering glasses is more prominent now than in the past. You can bring these lenses to your routine to improve your overall wellness. Blue light glasses help you sleep better at night, and it’s valid to some extent. Because by using blue blocking glasses, you may improve your sleep and continue to use digital devices.
Choosing The Right Anti Blue Light Glasses
First of all, you have to make your choice clear about blue light filter glasses. However, you can make it far easier by checking out some important facts that make you more confident about your anti blue ray glasses buying decisions.
Prescription Based Glasses
No worries if you wear prescription glasses to improve your eyesight; you can still utilize blue light blocking glasses to get some relief from blue light rays that emit directly from digital screens. But you have to invest in a new pair of specs to have advanced glasses with blue blocking lenses.
Consider Eye Comfort
Comfort is one of the most crucial factors in choosing the right blue light filter glasses. If you don’t find your glasses comfortable on your face, you’ll start finding reasons not to wear them. To make your selection process smooth, you can buy blue light eyewear from an optical shop by consulting an experienced eye care professional. The professional can help you get suitable eyeglasses in terms of fitting and frame style and tell you about the trendy lenses you can try on.
UV Protection Should Be There
UV protection features should come by default with blue light filter glasses. Still, when you start searching for suitable blue light blocking glasses, keeping this factor in mind would be a great benefit. In addition, if your opticians are not offering UV protection in their lenses, you can ask them to integrate it into your blue light prescription specs.
By choosing and wearing the right blue light blocking glasses, you may reduce your eye strain up to a great extent and also remain engaged and productive with your digital screens. In short, going with blue light filter glasses is recommended if you don’t want to give up on your digital screens and buying such lenses from a reliable source is always appreciable.
With many options available, ranging from vision improvement, style, and level of protection, we at Rkumar Opticians make it easier to find the best glasses and specs that are best suited to your requisites.
Considering your requirements, we offer prescription and non-prescription blue light spectacles options. You can browse from our variety of fascinating options available to select the best one for you. Moreover, you’re free to choose the glasses by style, lenses, or shape to make your selection process appropriate and seamless.
Contact us with your vision correction queries to get the best pair of blue light glasses.
What are blue ray cut glasses?
Blue ray cut glasses are special glasses designed with a protective properties that selectively limits the junk blue light from passing through the lenses of your specs.
What is the wavelength of blue light?
Generally, blue light has a comparatively shorter wavelength ranging from 450 to 495 nanometers. In contrast, red light has a longer wavelength that is between 620 to 750 nanometers. In short, blue light emits a higher frequency and carries more energy than red light.
Do blue light glasses really work?
Today’s advanced world makes it challenging to avoid digital screens that raise a question, and blue light filter glasses are here to combat the effects of digital eye strain. The screen-protecting glasses reduce your eyes fatigue and make you remain engaged with the digital screens while reducing the negative effects of blue light.
Is it OK to wear blue light glasses all day?
Anti Blue light glasses are completely safe to use for all-day use. If you find them comfortable to wear for long hours, there’s absolutely no harm in wearing them. When you wear these glasses all day long, these may theoretically regulate your circadian rhythm, i.e., the body’s natural sleep and wake cycle, and boosts memory, alertness, and mood.
Can I wear blue light glasses while driving?
Absolutely! There’s no loss in wearing blue light glasses while driving, even at night.